Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chicken Fajitas

I have never made fajitas before.  Now I can cross that off my bucket list (although I'm not sure it was on it in the first place).  I'm not even sure if I've ever eaten fajitas before.  I want to say that  have, but I can't recall.  I love tacos, so when I eat Mexican food, it's usually tacos or taco salad.

I thought that these fajitas were really good, but I have nothing with which to compare them.  I say, "Try this recipe yourself and let me know what you think."

I did alter the recipe slightly, partially because I was strapped for time and partially because I'm lazy.



CHICKEN FAJITAS

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice (I used 1/4 cup)
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (I used 1/2 teaspoon because I ran out of it)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 chicken breasts cut into thin strips
1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned  (I used 1 whole green, 1 whole red, and 1 whole yellow)
1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
4 green onions thinly sliced  (I omitted these)
1/2 cup chopped onion
6 (8 inch) low sodium flour tortillas
Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole, or sour cream (your choice of toppings)

Preparation:
In large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, and seasonings.  Add chicken.  Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.  I didn't have much time, so instead I combined the oil, lemon juice and seasonings in a small bowl.  Then I poured the sauce over the chicken while sauteing it.
In large skillet, saute peppers and onions in oil until crisp-tender. 

In separate skillet, saute chicken in sauce over medium-high heat about 5-6 minutes. 

Pour chicken over pepper skillet.  Combine and heat through.
Spoon filling down center of tortilla and fold in half.  Serve with choice of toppings.

2 comments:

  1. The second time I made these, I used low sodium pitas instead of tortillas. They hold up much better than tortillas and make for a heartier meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used vinegar instead of lemon...seemed a bit more authentic. Also added fresh diced tomatoes.We use sprouted whole grain tortillas...no fat and more fiber and protein.. Corn tortillas would be far less sodium as another good option

    ReplyDelete