Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Caramel Banana Cheesecake

Let me begin by saying that this recipe is not low fat or low sodium by any stretch of the imagination.  Every once in awhile, I will indulge in something that is too delicious to pass up.  Cheesecake is one of those foods.

Years ago, I was travelling in Great Britain with a tour group.  One evening, we stopped at a local restaurant for dinner.  I don't remember the name of the place, but I most definitely remember the dessert: Banoffee Pie.  I asked the server what it was, and she explained that it was a banana toffee pie served with whipped cream. SOLD!  I absolutely fell in love with Banoffee Pie.

Once at home, I searched the Internet to find a recipe for Banoffee Pie.  I found several and tried a few that were easiest to make.  Unfortunately, they didn't turn out well.  They were either too runny or too thick to slice.  I was too afraid to try making Banoffee Pie the correct way because it involves boiling unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for approximately five hours.

So instead of making pie, I decided to combine my love of Banoffee Pie and cheesecake, and this recipe is the result.  I took a basic cheesecake recipe and altered it to give it the essence of Banoffee Pie.  I think it was a success because I received rave reviews from my coworkers.



CARAMEL BANANA CHEESECAKE
Ingredients:
Crust-
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
Filling-
3 packages (8oz) cream cheese, softened.  (I used 2 packages of Neufchatel and 1 package of fat free cream cheese.)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/2 teaspoon banana extract
1/2 teaspoon Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Sweet Blend* (You may also use cinnamon)
3 eggs
8 ounces sour cream (I used low fat sour cream)
3 ripe bananas, sliced
Whipped Cream and extra caramel sauce for topping

Preparation:
Prepare the crust first.  In a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs. 

Press into bottom of 9-inch or 10-inch spring form pan.  Place in freezer. 

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  In large bowl, cream softened cheese until smooth. 

Add banana extract, sugar, caramel, and Sweet Spice.  Add eggs one at a time.  Fold in sour cream.  Layer 2 sliced bananas over graham cracker crust. 

Pour filling into crust and bake for one hour.  Let sit in warm oven for another hour. 

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.  Cake will have a very creamy consistency.  Top cake with 1 sliced banana, whipped cream, and caramel.

*Please email me at: auntiejeans@yahoo.com if you would like to order a bottle of Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Sweet Spice for $5 per bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment