Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Frozen Pineapple Ice Cream Sandwiches

I love ice cream but I rarely eat it because it's so high in fat.  Recently, I have been trying harder than ever to reduce my fat intake.  As a result, I've lost a few pounds (yay!) and discovered and rediscovered yummy recipes.  As I was searching online for low fat desserts to make for Thanksgiving, I came across this recipe for Frozen Pineapple Ice Cream Sandwiches.  Pineapple and ice cream together?  Jackpot!  It's a very simple recipe; I think the most difficult part is wrapping the sandwiches with plastic wrap.  For those of you who don't like (or aren't any good at) baking, this one's for you.

My family enjoyed these sandwiches at Thanksgiving (along with apple pie and chocolate cheesecake).  There were enough sandwiches leftover for me to enjoy later.  I'm going to make some more to keep in my freezer for everyday snacking.  I intend to try them with different flavors.  This week, I'm going to make banana flavored ice cream by using banana in place of pineapple and banana cream pudding in place of the vanilla pudding.  I'm sure you can use just about any fruit, you just need to blend it in a blender or food processor.  The flavor combination that I'm most looking forward to trying is blueberry cheesecake.  That is my favorite flavor from my favorite ice cream shop, Sherman Dairy in South Haven, Michigan.  www.shermanicecream.com.  If you're familiar with southwest Michigan, you've probably had their ice cream.  Unfortunately, they're closed for the winter.  They'll open again in March... I see a road trip in my future.  If you ever have the chance for Sherman Dairy, be sure to stop for some fantastic ice cream.


FROZEN PINEAPPLE ICE CREAM SANDWICH

Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) container low fat frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 (20 ounce) can canned crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 (1.4 ounce) package fat free, sugar free instant vanilla pudding
  • 36 graham cracker squares

Directions

1.     In a large bowl, beat together the thawed whipped topping, crushed pineapple and vanilla pudding mix for 2 minutes. Spread pineapple mixture 1/2 inch thick between two graham crackers. Wrap gently in plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment