Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Everybody Loves Sloppy Joes

Growing up, there were many foods that I didn't like to eat.  Even now as an adult, I am a fairly picky eater (as my sister, Karen will attest.)  I wasn't fond of Sloppy Joe's, and my mom didn't make them too often which was fine with me.  Our dinner staples included spaghetti, hamburgers, tacos, meatloaf, pizza, tomato bread, and Chicken Kiev. 

As I grew older and started dining out more, I was able to expand my culinary palate.  I enjoy trying new dishes to see what I like. I would find recipes for some foods that I liked in restaurants and make them at home.  After I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, I needed to find new recipes that are low sodium and low fat.  If you use something store-bought like Manwich, it adds 410mg of sodium per 1/4 cup. http://www.conagrafoods.com/consumer/brands/getBrand.do?page=manwich

  One of the new recipes that I found was for sloppy joes; I thought I'd give it a try even though I didn't like them.  As it turns out, I do like sloppy joes... at least this recipe.  For my convenience in making sloppy joes, I made a low sodium spice blend.  Now it's easier than ever to make a quick and tasty dinner.


Sloppy Joe


1 Pound Ground meat

3/4 C Salt Free Ketchup*

1/4 Cup water

3 Tablespoons Auntie Jean’s Low Sodium Sloppy Joe mix**

1/4 Cup chopped onions (optional)

1/4 Cup chopped green peppers (optional)



In large skillet, brown meat, onions and peppers, then drain.  Add ketchup, water, and Sloppy Joe mix.  Simmer 15 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns, with pita bread, or tortillas.  Yield 8-10 servings.

*Note: Heinz makes a no salt ketchup.  http://www.heinzketchup.com/

**Please contact me if you'd like to buy some Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Sloppy Joe Blend for $5 per bottle:  auntiejeans@yahoo.com.  If you'd like to make the recipe without it, you can substitute 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.

1 comment: