Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Chicken Piccata

I love chicken, and my favorite chicken dish is Chicken Piccata.  I first discovered this little piece of Heaven while dining at my favorite local restaurant, Popolano's. www.popolanosrestaurant.com.  There are not many options in my village that are not fast food or chain restaurants.  I categorize Popolano's as an Italian American pizza restaurant.  It serves a little of everything and all of it delicious.

Many years ago I ordered Chicken Piccata at Popolano's and was warned by the server that the dish was VERY garlicky.  I love garlic, so I wasn't scared; but, man they weren't kidding.  The dish was served with tons of garlic, chunks of chicken, capers, onions, egg noodles, and a lovely buttery lemon sauce.  That became my go to dish at restaurants until I discovered that no one made it like Popolano's.

Unfortunately, Popolano's changed their menu and removed Chicken Piccata.  I'm guessing it was due to the amount of garlic.  Occasionally, Chicken Piccata would show up on their specials menu and I would order it then.  Sometimes I would order it anyway, and they would make it for me.  I knew that wouldn't last forever so I went on the hunt for a recipe to do it justice.

I discovered many recipes and tinkered with them until the Chicken Piccata was to my liking.  It's still not the same, but pretty darn close.  Here it is; enjoy.


CHICKEN PICCATA

Ingredients

  • 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼” thickness
  • ¼ teaspoon Auntie Jean’s Low Sodium Lemon Pepper Blend
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter, or as needed
  • ½ cup onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth or wine
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed

Directions

1.     Place flour and lemon pepper in Ziploc bag and mix.  Place chicken breasts one at a time in bag and toss to coat. Shake off excess flour. Heat the butter in a large skillet. Saute onion, garlic, and green onion until tender and remove from pan.  Pan-fry the chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.

2.     Pour in the chicken broth and lemon juice.  Add onion mixture and capers.  Heat on high heat until sauce thickens.

3.     Serve chicken over rice or pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment