Saturday, November 5, 2011

Taco Soup

Whenever I make tacos for dinner, inevitably there are leftovers.  I pretty much throw everything except the lettuce into a large pot and add some water and bouillon to make Taco Soup.  It's quick and easy to make, plus it puts the leftovers to good use.  I hate wasting food!  I usually have plenty to serve the next day or two and some to freeze to enjoy later.

Today, I am attending a birthday party for my nephew and Godson, Charlie who is eleven.  They are serving pizza and cake at the party, two things that are not on a low fat, low sodium diet.  So, I am going to bring some taco soup and some fruit salad.  I still plan on indulging in a few bites of pizza and cake too.  We'll see how the party guests like the soup.  It's one of my favorites, but I don't anticipate the kids to even try it when there is pizza to be eaten.

For those of you who would like to try it yourself, I'll post the recipe.  Adjust it to what you like to eat and what you have in your cupboard.


TACO SOUP

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomato, low sodium
  • 1 cup of rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 packet of low sodium beef bouillon
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 tablespoons Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Taco Blend

Directions

1.     In a large skillet, brown beef and drain grease if needed.  Add taco seasoning and stir until well blended.

2.     In a large pot, combine water, bouillon, tomatoes, rice, beans, onion, and corn. Heat on high.

3.     Add beef and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

4.     Top with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment