Sunday, February 12, 2012

Spicy Mexicali Chicken

There are a million and one ways to prepare chicken (or at least it seems that way to me.)  I have always loved fried chicken, but since that's no longer on my diet, I like to bake coated/ breaded chicken.  It reminds me of fried chicken but I don't feel guilty (or ill) for eating breaded chicken.

I find that with the right seasonings, I actually prefer the boneless, skinless coated chicken breast to fried chicken.

The title for this recipe includes the word spicy.  I think it's a little on the spicy side, but not much.  If you like it spicier, add some cayenne to the breading mixture.  You can increase the amount of hot sauce as well.

SPICY MEXICALI CHICKEN

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
1/4 cup sour milk (if you don't have sour milk, simply add 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1/4 cup regular milk and mix quickly.  The milk will begin to curdle.)
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
2/3 cup corn meal (I prefer white corn meal, but yellow is fine)
2 teaspoons Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Taco Blend*
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Salsa, if desired. Made with Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Salsa Blend*

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease baking dish.  In shallow dish, mix sour milk and hot sauce.  In another shallow dish, mix cornmeal and taco seasoning.  Dip chicken in milk and then coat in cornmeal.  Place chicken in baking dish and brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and turn over chicken, carefully scraping the pan so the coating doesn't stick to the pan.  Then brush the other side of the chicken with 1 tablespoon of melted butter.  Return to the oven and bake 20 minutes longer.  Serve with salsa if desired.


I assure you that the end product if far more appetizing than it appears in this picture.  The coating didn't stick to the chicken as well as I would have liked, but it still tasted great. 

*Please email me at  auntiejeans@yahoo.com if you would like to order a bottle of Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Taco Blend or Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Salsa Blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment