Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ground Beef and Potato Bake

I'm always looking for new ways to serve ground beef.  When I saw that this recipe includes potatoes, I figured that I'd give it a try since my family loves potatoes.  As I have mentioned before, I'm not a big fan of potatoes, but I eat them because they are rich in heart healthy potassium.

This recipe, like most of my recipes is easy to prepare.  It's not a very quick recipe because of the 60 minute baking time.  To save a little time, you could prepare the casserole dish and refrigerate overnight.  Then you could pour the soup over the top and bake it.

You can use the reduced sodium version of canned mushroom soup, but I find that it's extremely bland.  So I recommend either making your own from scratch (see my cream of mushroom soup recipe posted earlier) or you can enhance the flavor of the canned soup by adding a little black pepper, some low sodium beef broth packet, and/or some cayenne.

GROUND BEEF AND POTATO BAKE

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Italian Dressing Blend*
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 medium potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
1 can (10oz) low sodium cream of mushroom soup
5 oz skim milk

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook and drain beef.  In a casserole dish, layer beef, sliced onions, and sliced potatoes, sprinkling each layer with seasonings.  In a small bowl, mix soup and milk until smooth.  Pour over top of casserole dish. 

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes uncovered.
*Please email me at auntiejeans@yahoo.com if you would like to order some Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Italian Dressing Blend

No comments:

Post a Comment