Monday, February 6, 2012

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Winter is the best time for soup.  In Chicago, this winter has been especially mild so I haven't made as much soup as I normally do.  I often throw leftovers from dinner into a pot and add some bouillon and seasonings.  Then I have soup for lunch for the next couple of days.

I make cream soups for meals the first time around.  I guess I consider them "fancy" soups.  Cream soups don't freeze well, so I can't make a huge batch and save leftovers for later.

Cream soups are not the healthiest of things to eat, but using milk instead of cream makes delicious soup without all the fat.

I have tried the canned healthy versions of cream of mushroom soup and I think they taste awful.  This version is much better.

CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP

Ingredients:
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms or 2 4-ounce cans of no salt sliced mushrooms
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 (14.5) ounce cans low sodium chicken broth
1 cup low fat milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons vinegar

Preparation:
In large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.  Add mushrooms and saute until tender. 

Combine flour and broth until smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture. 

Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. 

Reduce heat.  Stir in the milk, pepper, and garlic powder.  Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes stirring often.  Add vinegar and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment