Thursday, January 5, 2012

Three Bean Salad

I know that it's not summer, far from it, but I enjoy summer salads year round.  I like to eat them with a sandwich for lunch; that way I get my third vegetable serving of the day (which I shamefully admit doesn't happen too often).  Potato salad, pasta salad, and coleslaw are a few of my other year-round lunch favorites.  I'll share some of those recipes with you later :-)

If you take all the shortcuts for this recipe, it should take you less than 10 minutes to prepare.  The hard part is waiting for the salad to chill for at least 4 hours before eating it.  I believe that it's well worth the wait.  This is one of the staples at my family's gatherings.  We almost always have a dish of it at every occasion, even Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.  Enjoy!

THREE BEAN SALAD

Ingredients:
1 can (16 oz) low sodium garbanzos, rinsed & drained
1 can (16 oz) low sodium kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup cut green beans (I use the frozen kind)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I use the frozen kind)
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 clove garlic, minced (I use the kind in the jar)

Preparation:
In a large bowl, combine beans, onions, and green peppers. 

In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, sugar, celery salt, mustard, and garlic.  Then add oil and whisk together.  Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat. 

Cover and chill in refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. Great photos to go along with the recipe!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete