Friday, January 13, 2012

Chicken Marsala

One day, I was going through cookbooks and my collection of recipes searching for some recipes that I had never tried and I could make low sodium.  Chicken Marsala caught my eye because it wasn't already loaded with sodium or fat.  If you haven't already guessed by now, chicken is my favorite meat (besides ham which I don't eat very often because it's so high in fat and sodium).  I decided to investigate further. 

I am not a talented cook by any stretch of the imagination. Even though I have watched many episodes of The French Chef with my best friend, Diane as a child, I still have no idea of how to do many things in the kitchen. I will try to do almost anything as long as I have the tools and some instructions. I had always thought that Chicken Marsala was a fancy dish, and therefore difficult to make. How wrong I was! It is actually very easy to make and doesn't take too long either.

I am not a wine drinker and cannot taste the difference in wines. This recipe calls for Marsala wine; I usually use sherry in its place. You may also use chicken broth if you would like to keep the recipe alcohol free.

CHICKEN MARSALA 
Ingredients
3 skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon marjoram
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons sliced green onion
3 tablespoons margarine/ butter
¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
¼ cup Marsala wine
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Place chicken breasts in plastic zip bag and pound to about ¼” thick.  In shallow dish, stir flour, marjoram, and pepper.  Flour chicken and set aside.  In large skillet over medium heat, cook mushrooms, green onion, and butter until tender and remove from skillet. 

In skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in butter. 

Return mushrooms and onions.  Add broth and wine and cook for 2-3 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment