Monday, January 9, 2012

Greek Lemon Rice Soup

Often times, while I'm dining at a restaurant, I will find a dish that I love.  When I return home, I search online or through my cookbooks to see if I have a recipe for that very dish.  I think that I was in my thirties before I tried Lemon Rice Soup.  I never thought that lemon in soup sounded good to me.  I still don't remember what inspired me to try it, but I did and LOVED it.  Once I had returned home, I discovered a recipe online that looked easy to make and I could adjust to my dietary needs.  I made it and thought that it tasted almost as good as the restaurant soup.  It could never be the same without the salt and fat that surely must have been in their soup.

My theory on food is that you need to try every dish at least on 3 separate occasions (made by 3 different cooks) to say that you don't like it.  That is what I tell my nephews and niece when they refuse to try some new food. I also tell them that they should try it because it might be their favorite food of all time, but they'll never know because they wouldn't try it.

The lemon rice soup is easy to make and doesn't take too long either.  It was fairly simple to reduce the sodium, and it's naturally low fat.  I should make it more often.  Perhaps I will add that to the list of my new year's resolutions.

I like to add cooked, diced chicken breast for a heartier soup.  You can save leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat; be sure not to boil the soup.  It does not freeze well.

GREEK LEMON RICE SOUP

Ingredients:
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 to 1-1/2 cups brown minute rice*
2 eggs
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons sugar or 1 packet Equal
Dash of white pepper
Cooked, diced chicken breast, if desired

Preparation:
In 2 quart saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat, add rice, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 10 minutes.  In small bowl, beat eggs and lemon juice.  Stirring constantly, add 1 cup hot soup a little at time.  Stir mixture into soup and heat through.  Do not boil!  If you like, add cooked, diced chicken breast.  Add sugar and pepper.  Serves 4.

*Note: 1 cup rice makes thinner soup, 1-1/2 cups makes thicker soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment