Saturday, December 31, 2011

Party Taco Dip

Deciding what food to bring to a party is always a difficult choice for me.  I like to plan well in advance so I have time to shop and prepare the food as early as possible.  Sometimes I am forced (either through my lack of planning or just plain laziness) to prepare something at the last minute.

For the New Year's Eve party that I'm attending this year, I had decided to bring taco dip and tortilla chips.  Most of the ingredients, I normally have on hand, but I needed to pick up a couple things.  So I foolishly ran to the supermarket this afternoon (New Year's Eve).  As I approached the parking lot, I said, "NO!"  That was because I couldn't even turn into the parking lot with the amount of traffic waiting to enter.  There wasn't an empty parking space to be had, so I waited as patiently as I could and drove in and out of the parking lot to promptly return home.  Some cream cheese and tortilla chips were simply not worth the hassle.

Onto plan B...  I would bake my own tortilla chips using the tortilla shells at home and I would substitute sour cream for cream cheese.  I probably should have done that in the first place; lesson learned.

I returned home and starting baking tortilla chips while I prepared the taco dip to accompany them.  Crisis averted :-)  Here is the Taco Dip recipe you can whip up in a snap.  The home made tortilla chips recipe is found in an earlier post under "Homemade Chips and Salsa"

Have a happy and healthy new year!

PARTY TACO DIP

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Taco Blend*
8 ounces low fat cream cheese / neufchatel, softened
1/4 cup low fat sour cream / yogurt
1 bag lettuce
2 diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup diced green onion
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
sliced black olives (optional)

Preparation:
In small bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning. 

Spread onto bottom of shallow dish.

 Layer lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, and green onion. 

Top with shredded cheese. 

Refrigerate at least one hour.  Serve with tortilla chips.

*To purchase Auntie Jean's Low Sodium Taco Blend, email me at:  auntiejeans@yahoo.com




No comments:

Post a Comment