Friday, December 9, 2011

Oven Fries

Last night, I tried a new side dish with tacos... oven fries seasoned with taco seasoning.  It's a recipe that I saw on Rachael Ray's show, and it sounded delicious to me.  I love fries, but not the fat and salt.  Potatoes are a great source of potassium which is needed for good heart health.  This recipe bakes the fries and uses alternative spices.  It's a little time consuming cutting the potatoes into thin fries.  I use a mandolin slicer that makes quicker work of it.  I suppose that you can use precut frozen fries.

All you need to do is to toss the sliced potatoes in some olive oil, place on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with seasonings and bake.  Rachael Ray recommends using a cooling rack on top of the baking sheet to get the fries crispy.  I don't think it's necessary, as I have tried it both ways.  You can change the seasonings to your taste.  I have made them with ranch seasoning and taco seasoning and like them both.

I also microwave potatoes for 5 to 7 minutes on high to reduce oven cooking time.  I'll nuke them first then toss them with oil and season them.  Place the fries on the baking sheet.  After 25 minutes, take them out of the oven and turn them over so they bake evenly.  Then bake them 20 - 25 minutes longer.

Try your own variations and let me know how they turn out.  I think I'm going to try garlic parmesan fries next. Yum!


Ranch Oven Fries

Ingredients:

6 medium Idaho potatoes

Extra virgin olive oil

1 – 2 teaspoons Auntie Jean’s Low Sodium Ranch Blend

Yield: 6 servings

Preparation:

Preheat oven to  400 degrees.  Arrange cooling/wire racks over 2 baking sheets.  Peel potatoes and cut into thin fries, less than ¼ inch thick.  In a large bowl, dress fries very lightly with olive oil and ranch seasoning.  Arrange fries in single layer on wire racks.  Place in oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until crispy.


No comments:

Post a Comment