Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Kolackys

I only bake kolackys once a year at Christmas time.  They are a bit of extra work, but they are extremely delicious and extremely fattening, so once a year is enough.  I bake a huge batch for my annual cookie exchange with the girls.  I believe they like them (or at least that's what they tell me.)  I also bake a few extra kolackys to give as gifts to friends, coworkers, and family.  I find that food makes great gifts for people for whom you don't know what to get.  Everyone eats, and even if they don't like it, someone they know will.  The gesture is always appreciated, especially if it's homemade.

I started baking on my own when I was about 10 years old.  Chocolate chip cookies were my first baking experience and still one of my faves.  My Irish grandmother married a Polish man and she would make a few Polish dishes.  One of them was to bake kolackys at Christmas.  I don't have her recipe, but I found one that I like even better. (Don't tell Grandma that I said that)  The recipe comes from the Solo Filling can, and I have altered it slightly.  I still use the filling from Solo.  You can visit their website:  http://www.solofoods.com/  for some good recipes.

Here is what you need for making kolackys: makes about 3 dozen
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup cream cheese (8 ounce package), softened. Neufchatel also works.
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 can Solo Pie & Pastry Filling
Powdered sugar for sprinkling

The first step is to beat butter, cream cheese, milk, and sugar in a large bowl until well blended.
Next, beat in egg yolk.  Sift flour and baking soda and stir into butter mixture to make stiff dough.  Cover bowl and refigerate several hours or overnight.  I find it easier to make the dough one day and bake the cookies the next.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Flour working surface and rolling pin very well.  I like to use the Pampered Chef pastry mat.
Roll the dough to 1/8" thickness.  Try to keep the shape as rectangular as possible.
Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut into squares about 2 1/2".

Place 1 teaspoon filling in the center of each square.

Bring corners to center and press together making a small square.


Place on baking sheet leaving space  between cookies.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned.
Cool on wire rack.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.  These are just cooling, no powdered sugar yet.  The cookies tend to spread open even though they're sealed.  If you want them to stay closed, place a dab of water on the dough before sealing.  I think they look better with the filling showing.
They also look a little prettier when covered with powdered sugar.

These cookies freeze well, just be sure to sugar them after you remove them from the freezer.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment